Pregnancy is a journey for long days. The biggest problem an expecting mother often faces at this time, issues with the diet.
First of all, a pregnant mom loses the taste for maximum healthy food, and secondly, vomiting & nausea left her tummy empty frequently. Pregnancy is an especial time, mandatory to prioritized on the diet plan for each would-be mom.
So why am I emphasizing a pregnancy diet plan? What is a healthy diet for pregnant women? What should a pregnant woman eat for breakfast, lunch & dinner? What are pregnancy superfoods? How pregnancy food habit impacts the baby’s physical or mental condition?
Let’s know all things relates to the pregnancy diet plan-
A Food Guide for Pregnant Women (Expert Tips on Pregnancy Diet):
Food to Eat:
|Salmon||Lean Meats||Soybean||Leafy Vegetables||Eggs||Sweet||Beans||Whole||Walnuts||Greek Yogurts|
Food, Not to Eat:
|Raw Eggs||Raw Meat||Smoked Seafood||Uncooked Seafood||Raw Shellfish||Soft Cheeses||Unpasteurized Milk||Pate||Unwashed Fruits & Vegs||Salad Bars||Caffeine||Alcohol||Any Allergic Food|
Why do you need to eat Healthy Food at the time of pregnancy?
At the time of pregnancy, many pregnant women cannot eat even the regular diet they had to eat before the pregnancy. However, pregnancy is not any sickness, but it causes some illness like vomiting, nausea, dizziness, morning sickness, losing the taste from a regular diet, etc.
As pregnancy is not only a matter of you, it’s a need to take care of the diet of two; you and the baby. So, at this time, you need to take special care of your diet. The diet should contain all the vitamins and minerals so that both you and your baby can go through a healthy physical condition.
- The first reason to set a healthy diet goal at the time of pregnancy is to have proper nutrients for both the mom and baby. Bread & Grains (Serving of 6 to11), Fruits (Two to four servings), Vegetables (four or more), Dairy Products (Four Servings), Protein Source (Meat, Poultry, Fish, Eggs. Nuts-Three servings), Fat & Sweets (less amount) are some pregnancy superfoods.
- High-fiber foods Like Whole-Grain Bread, Cereals, Beans, Pasta, Rice, Fruits& Vegetables are good for pregnant women. During pregnancy, many women often face a severe constipation problem. However, the fiber-enriched product helps pregnant women to reduce constipation problems. Depending on your health condition, you may need a fiber supplement. But don’t intake any supplement without consulting with the doctor. Psyllium & Methylcellulose are the perfect examples of fiber supplements you may need during pregnancy. During any supplement taking, never be a hurry to increase the dose suddenly. Increase it slowly and intake huge water or liquid to stop suffering from gastritis or stomach cramping.
- During pregnancy, most often, pregnant women need to take Prenatal Vitamin Supplements. This supplement helps the expecting mom to get enough vitamins and minerals regularly. Your doctor will suggest a brand of this supplement, so follow your doctor.
- You need at least 100 to 1300mg of calcium during pregnancy from your regular diets or synthetic supplement during pregnancy. So dairy food is a calcium-enriched product; try to eat it a minimum of three to four times.
- Another demand of pregnancy time is plenty of iron-riches foods. Lean Meats, Spinach, Beans, Cereals, etc., can supply you with approximately 27 mg of iron each day. You can take an iron supplement, too but consult with your doctor before taking it. And iron produces a severe gas problem, so you might need to intake some medicine (consult with your doctor) to stop the gastritis problem of yourself .
- Iodine is the key ingredient that helps your baby’s brain and nervous system to develop. Therefore, you also need a minimum of 220mcg of iodine daily during your pregnancy. Dairy products, Yogurt, Baked Potato, Cooked Navy Beans, Seafood like Cod, Salmon, Shrimp (Limited amount, 8-12oz/week), etc., can potentially meet your pregnancy time iodine demand. Here I want to say one thing about Yogurt. Yogurt is full of natural probiotics. So, it not only provides Calcium, Iodine to you, it also supplies suitable enzymes to your stomach so that your stomach stays excellent and healthy.
- Now let’s talk about Vitamin C. Do not miss to eat any Vitamin C enriched food regularly, especially when you are pregnant. Citrus food (like Lemon, Orange), Grapefruits, Strawberries, Honeydew, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussels, Sprouts, Green Peppers, Tomatoes, Mustard Greens, etc. are a potential source of vitamin C. A pregnant woman needs to intake 80-85 mg of Vitamin C regularly.
- What about the folate? It would help if you had folate to supply folic acid to your body. The potential source of folates are-Dark Leafy Vegetables, Veal, Legumes (Lima Beans, Black Beans, Black-Eyed Peas), Dark Cabbage, etc. Be ensure you are intaking 0.64mg of folate regularly. A sufficient amount of folate can prevent diseases like Spina Bifida in any pregnant woman. However, you can take the folic acid supplement as well.
- Vitamin A also another essential vitamin you need to intake daily, especially while you are pregnant. You will get this vitamin from carrot, Pumpkins, Sweet Potatoes, Spinach, Water Squash, Turnip Greens, Beet Greens, Apricots, Cantaloupe, Small Fish, etc.
- Don’t miss Vitamin D at this time. Vitamin D helps to absorb calcium in your body. 600IU Vitamin D is the average amount; a pregnant woman needs to intake daily.
Do’s or Do not’s During pregnancy:
- Eat at least 8 to 10 glasses of water during your pregnancy. Without adequate water, your body cannot absorb all the nutrients properly. Besides this, water also helps to remove the wastage from the inside of your body as well.
- A Balanced Diet is a must needed during your pregnancy. So, follow a standard pregnant diet chart.
- Don’t Prone to be Lazy during your pregnancy. Be busy with the light household chores. And to some exercise which is indicated at your trimester.
- We discourage fasting during your pregnancy time. Fasting can create a severe problem like Hypoglycemia, profound weakness, dehydration at that time.
- If you face severe morning sickness, you can manage this symptom by dividing your diet into 5-6 times daily. Make a habit of eating on an interval of 2.5 or 3 hours.
- Follow a Standard Pregnant Diet Chart. Make your meal full of different groups of foods.
- Fill your diet craving with healthy and good food rather than junk or fast food.
- Limit the eating of carbonated beverage, Salty or High-Fat food, Can Food, Chocolate or Ice cream, etc.
- Beverage or Caffeine can hinder the proper development of the fetus. So, reduce these as much as possible.
- Finally, Never intake any dietary supplement as your Pre-natal Supplements. Before starting any supplement, consult with your doctor. An excessive supplement can cause Constipation, Diarrhea, Nausea, Loss of Appetite, Upset Stomach, Cramps, Gastritis problems suddenly.
How can I improve my baby’s brain during pregnancy?
You can take some initiatives to improve your baby’s brain during pregnancy.
Here’re some ways-
- Be active. It is one of the main things to develop your baby’s brain while you are pregnant. It is already proved that if an expectant mom stays active during pregnancy, her baby can rapidly develop brain function.
- A regular intake of egg and fish. Both this food is full of omega-three enriched fatty acids, which successfully can increase a baby’s brain at the time of your pregnancy.
- Consult with your doctor, intake a prenatal supplement regularly. Vitamin supplements with Folate help to develop the baby’s brain.
- Say no to smoking or drinking alcohol during your pregnancy.
- Talk to your baby even your baby is inside your uterus, but he/she can sense you.
- A proper sleep of the pregnant woman also can help her baby to get a more developed brain.
Do I Need to Take Supplements During Pregnancy?
Yes, you need supplements during pregnancy. And your doctor will suggest all these supplements with your regular chart. However, we are giving a general guideline related to the supplement taking at the time of pregnancy. But don’t forget to share details with your gynecologist about the accessories you are going intake at your pregnancy-
Multi-vitamins (Supposed to contain at least 400mcg Folic Acid):
Multi-vitamin, which are full of folic acid, can prevent Neural Tube Defects. Folic acid is most important at the time of early Pregnancy, Mainly in the first trimester. Your baby’s spinal cord is developing (after four weeks of conception). So, at that time, folic acid is most important. Whenever you could understand about your pregnancy, please start to take folic acid.
Lactobacillus Rhamnosus Probiotics are indicated for pregnancy. Probiotics have a good history of providing useful enzymes to the stomach. So, your stomach health stays good and healthy. However, this probiotic also is good for preventing the chance of arising eczema in your unborn baby.
If you and your partner have a history of eczema, the baby can be born with this disease (Probability is 60 to 80 percent). Probiotics can reduce the early opportunity of developing an allergy by approximately 80 percent. So, if you take this supplement in your last trimester, your baby has a reduced chance of facing Asthma, Eczema, Hay Fever, etc. Therefore, pregnant women facing high allergies need to consult with the doctor about the efficiency of these probiotics.
Magnesium +Calcium+ Vitamin D+ Vitamin C:
Developing Foetal Bone also maintaining the good health of your bone and teeth needs to eat supplements of calcium, magnesium, etc. Magnesium also helps to prevent the uterus from Premature Contraction. Magnesium also helps to Muscle Relax, reduced Constipation, Healthy Tissue Growth, Restful Sleep. And Vitamin D helps to observe calcium properly. Vitamin C develops the Immune system.
Fish Oil/Omega 3:
This agent is related to your Neurological & Visual Developments. Further, it also helps to produce plenty of breast milk as well. Few kinds of research also established that, a sufficient amount of Omega 3 can help your baby to born with cognitive development. It also can increase the IQ level of your baby in the future.
Omega 3 also works to reduce the allergic reaction in your baby, Reduce Premature Labour, Reduce the Chance of Preeclampsia, Reduce Mother’s Depression. As the quality of Omega 3 depends on the brand to brand and storage condition, please consult with your doctor to suggest a good brand for you.
What can I eat to make my baby lose weight during pregnancy?
Lowering a baby’s weight at the time of pregnancy is a little bit tough. Moreover, the pregnant mom gets a huge weight gain in her last trimester, increasing the baby’s weight. However, do the below things to lose your baby’s weight during your pregnancy.
- At first, try to control your diet. Put your importance on protein and high fiber food rather than carbo richer food.
- Eat Low-Fat Food/Dairy products.
- Do some light exercise. Also, try to involve in some household works.
- Don’t use additional spice/oil/cream/butter in your cooking methods.
- Stop eating excessive chocolate, sweets, junk foods, high-calorie food, etc.
How can I avoid getting fat during pregnancy?
There are some ways you can follow to stop being fatty in your pregnancy. Those ways are-
- Do not overeat at a time. Rather than eat less amount, but frequently.
- Drink plenty of water. Also, eat more liquid food (juice, soup) if you do not have any edema during pregnancy. Liquid nutrition is suitable to fill your tummy quickly without creating any excess fat into your body.
- Do not hesitate to do some light work. Doing house chores, walking in the morning or evening can help you to digest your food quickly.
- If you do not have gastritis or acid problems, eat plenty of citrus fruits. Citrus fruits help to stop fat conjugation.
- This is a misconception about the food amount should eat during pregnancy. Stop eating for two. Stop a double amount of carb.
- Don’t miss high fiber and protein in your every meal. Both the fiber and the protein help your tummy not to feel hungry for a long time.
- Intake a sufficient amount of calcium each day.
How can I make my baby grow faster?
Follow the below process to make your baby growing faster than usual.
- Are you still habituated to cigarettes or alcohol? Leave both these things instantly. Already it is proved that smoking or drinking alcohol during pregnancy is responsible for giving birth to a lower-weight baby.
- Illegal drugs (drugs usage for abused, narcotic) also cause an under-weight baby. Narcotic medications are tiny but have a powerful destructive impact on the pregnant mom and her baby’s health.
- Berry, Egg, Cow’s Milk. Peanut Butter- this food is helpful to increase the baby’s weight during your pregnancy. If you do not have any allergies to any of these foods, you can eat them daily.
- There is no alternative to eating a healthy diet during pregnancy. Consult with your doctor, and make a nutritional chart according to your doctor.
- If your baby has underweighted, your doctor will know this at first. So, he/she will give you some ways, never forgot to follow these.
Which milk is best for pregnancy?
Cow milk, Soy Milk, Goat Milk, Rice milk, Almond milk, Power milk, Condensed milk, Oat milk, Coconut milk, Saffron milk, Cultured milk/Buttermilk, Chocolate milk-all can drink during pregnancy. Be sure you are drinking pasteurized milk. Unpasteurized or raw milk is full of bacteria that can make you severely ill.
Is banana good for pregnancy?
Yes, banana is good for pregnancy. Banana is full of potassium and vitamin B6, Vitamin C with high fiber. Therefore, bananas can resolve constipation at the time of pregnancy. Besides this, it also helps to reduce nausea and vomiting during pregnancy.
What are the fruits to avoid during pregnancy?
Pineapple, Grapes, Papaya (Ripe, semi-ripe), Bitter Melon, Tamarinds, etc. Besides these fruits, any fruits allergic to you mandatorily need to avoid during your pregnancy.
What should a pregnant woman eat to have a beautiful baby?
Milk, Dairy products, Eggs, Banana, Sweet potato, Legumes, Nuts (Walnut, almonds), Orange Juice, Leafy Vegetables, Oatmeal, etc. Any food full of Omega 3 (Fish, Soybeans, Spinach) also can make your baby beautiful during your pregnancy.
Is rice good for pregnancy?
A small amount of white rice is suggestable during pregnancy. California- Grown White Basmati rice is excellent, but brown rice is a high arsenic risk level. A pregnant woman also needs to limit her eating of dried or processed rice-like, Crackers, Cereal, Gluten-Free, Baked Goods, etc.
Which fruit is good for pregnancy?
Apricots, Orange, Mango (Vitamin A & C), Pears (Fiber+ K+ Folate), Pomegranates(Vitamin K, Calcium +Folate +Iron+ Protein +Fiber), Avocados ( Vitamin C E K + Monosaturated Fatty Acid + Fiber+ Vitamin B + Potassium + Copper), Guava (Vitamin C E + Polyphenols + Carotenoids +Folate+ Isoflavonoids) , Banana, Dried Fruits, Apples etc.
Which fruit is best for the first trimester?
Apples, Banana, Kiwi, Watermelon, Berries (Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries), Citrus Fruits (Lemon, Orange) are some superb fruits can provide enough vitamin & minerals at the time of your pregnancy. A pregnant mother badly needs high fiber, Potassium, Vit-A &C, and folic acid, which she can find from these fruits.
Did you read our full article? Still, do you have any questions which we did not cover in this article? Please give us a chance to include any leftover questions relates to the pregnancy diet plan and update our article. Feel free to knock in our comment box.
Read also: Tips For First Time Moms