Whether you’re a parent trying to teach your kid how to ride a bike or an instructor at a summer camp, teaching a child how to cycle is always going to be easier said than done. After all, even most adults have problems balancing on two wheels. But with the right approach and some patience, children can learn to cycle in just minutes!
Cycling is one of the most popular sports in America and has become more and more popular among kids. However, there’s a lot that goes into becoming a professional cyclist-and it doesn’t just happen overnight. The secret to turning your child into an expert bike rider may not be as far out of reach as you think.
Here stay with us, we are trying to narrate to you the easiest way how to ride a bike for the child.
The fear of riding a bike? How to overcome this fear?
It is the first and foremost mandatory for each baby before starting riding with the bike. Children are afraid to ride a bike because they are afraid of falling down. When they fall down, they will get pain (severe to minor). That’s a natural human response. However, kids basically do not fear the bike, usually, they scare to perfectly balance the bike, and fall from the bike suddenly.
But the most common reason why kids fail to learn how to ride a bike is that they want the training wheels off as soon as possible. They don’t want to wait for the training wheels to come off. But the average age for removing the training wheels is 7 years old, according to Dr. Robert Gardos, pediatrician and injury prevention specialist at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. Till the age of 7, the training wheel is mandatory for maximum children. This training wheel which is also termed a stabilizer will teach the kids how to balance on the bike and to ride properly.
That’s right, kids usually are more curious and become more scared of any new things. I was also afraid to ride a bike when I was a kid. I am sure many of you were scared to ride a bike for the first time. In most cases, the fear of riding a bike at child age is irrational. Many kids fear riding bikes because they think it is too dangerous or they don’t want to fall and scrape their knees. Cutting the skin, and bleeding from there also is very common.
However, if you learn how to ride your bike properly, you will be able to overcome that fear. You have probably heard the phrase “practice makes perfect” before. This applies here as well. If you practice riding your bike enough times, you will be able to overcome the fear. Another important thing to think is I’ve been afraid of riding a bike since I was 10 years old, but that doesn’t mean I can’t learn to ride one.
Children are often scared to ride their bicycles. This is because they are not confident in their riding skills. What’s more, some children are afraid of the traffic around them. To overcome this fear and make them feel safe, you need to take the following steps:
How to ride a bike for the child with confidence, without any more fear?
- The first step in overcoming this fear is to recognize that it is there. Many people avoid biking because they fear falling off. Ensure your baby realize that fear never exists. Once your baby acknowledges the real existence of this fear, he or she can begin to face it head-on and work towards conquering it.
- Teach the basics – The best way to learn is to find someone who already knows how to ride a bike and get them to teach your baby. Parents are the core teacher who teaches their baby about bike riding at first. However, start with the basics like learning how to start the bike, balancing it and, moving forward. That way, you don’t have much to worry about when you start riding. It is also better if you give a brief discussion about what is a bike, parts of the bike practically to your baby.
- Provide your kids with proper and frequent training on how to ride a bike. This way, they will be able to practice with their family members at home and gain confidence as per their extreme abilities.
- Encourage children to ride a bike while wearing a helmet. The reason behind this is simple: children may feel too concerned about the accidents. Not only a helmet, but we also suggest using safety cycling gloves, eye goggles, anklets riding shoes, etc.
- Riding a bike is an important milestone for kids. Riding for a long time, offer the kids learning to balance steering and pedal for the first time. So allow your child to ride frequently, it will add an advance to teach your child how to ride a bike.
- Start from a flat and smooth surface. At first start with a regular push bicycle that has training wheels. Do not leave your kids all alone at the first few steps.
- Slowly make your baby independent on the balance bike with the stabilizer. Allow your baby a frequent long riding in front of your eyes. Teach slowly. Wait a little bit more time so that your baby can adapt to all learning you are giving per day.
- Once your baby crossed the age of 7, remove the training wheels from your baby’s bike, move your baby to pedal bicycle. And the same thing again does not leave your baby alone at the first few days of pedaling. Pedaling needs more assistance, more practice more caution. Therefore, stick with your baby at this time to properly train her/his up. If needed, push your baby back, pull up. You have to take the action as per riding situation just creates instant with your baby on the training spot.
- If your baby can ride well on pedaling, now you can leave your baby for an independent long riding out of your sight. But before leaving your baby alone, well practice your baby about the steering, pedaling, total gear system, etc.
- Let your baby be informed about the street law, cycling law before starting riding on the cycle street. Especially the Ebikes rider needs to learn well about the state and street law before a ride on an e-bike.
Introduce your baby with the parts of a bike:
Bikes are becoming increasingly popular with people of all ages. They have many purposes, from transport to exercise. The most common type of bike is a road bike which comes in many different colors and sizes.
There are three main parts to a road bike: the frame, wheels, and handlebars. The frame is the main structure that holds the wheels, handlebars, seat, and pedals together. It’s made up of metal tubing and comes in various shapes and sizes. On average, road bikes have a top tube length of 700-750mm and a head tube angle of 70 degrees.
However, you already know bikes are of various types. Especially we categorized it into two types-regular push bicycles and electric bikes.
Riding safety tips for kids – how to stay safe on your bike!
Riding a bike is one of the best parts of childhood. It’s fun, it’s good for your baby and it’s something that your baby can do thrill with his/her friends. However, riding a bike comes with a few risks too. That’s why it’s important to teach children as young as possible how to ride their bikes safely and how to stay safe on their journeys.
Teach your baby about Bike riding etiquette e and the rules of the road. It is the mandatory thing for all types of bikers, either young or old bikers.
When riding a bike, make sure that your baby has a helmet fit for the head with the right size. A helmet should never be too big or too small but should fit comfortably on top of your baby’s head. If you are more conscious, you can also allow your baby to wear other safety elements before starting the riding. And be serious about the speed of your baby’s bike.
A high speed always causes high accidents for the newbie, or he child. So tell your baby to start slowly, ride slowly, and enjoy slowly! Especially in the high traffic area, your baby needs to be more conscious.
And at the last introduce your baby to all types of terrain. Rough terrain is not for the baby. Not only a rough terrain, a mountain terrain, terrain featuring wet weather also not suitable for the baby bike riders.
Teach your baby, how to clean and maintain the bike:
It is very important to maintain and clean the bike on time. The two most important things are to keep it clean and lubricated. Tell your baby to clean the bike regularly to remove dirt and other material that can cause damage and slow down the movement of parts.
Be sure you are present on the cleaning spot while your baby is cleaning the bike. At first, allow your baby only for a general and over through cleaning of the bike.
But learning the deep cleaning, wait a few more times to teach your baby about this. Tell your baby to use a sponge or soft cloth to remove any dirt from the frame and handlebars. If there is any oil or grease on the wheels or chain, teach the kids to wipe them with a cloth dipped in water and soap.
The last stage is lubrication. Give your baby a light but perfect bike lubricating agent so that he or she could gently lubricate all the chain, chain bearing, or other needy parts of the kid’s bike.
Once all is complete, let your baby keep the bike at rest minimum for half an hour.
The world has become a place where citizens are so concerned with their own needs, desires, and pleasures that they often forget about the things that aren’t as immediately important to them. The only thing is, there are things in life that many of us take for granted, whether we realize it or not, and the more we ignore them, the more those things get neglected.
One of these things is the simple pleasure of riding a bike. With all the car accidents and annoying traffic jams, it had almost become a thing of the past. But now, people have started realizing how much fun it can be done with a bicycle. So start from your family, start from your kids. Teach your baby how to ride a bike for the child and ensure a simple, easy but green transportation system in the upcoming future.
That’s all for today,