The cause of DDH (Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip) is the Swallowing of the Baby’s Hip Socket abnormally towards away. For this reason it cannot adequately cover the head of the Thighbone (Femoral Head), for which the problem arise basically. However, this disease can be minor to severe depending on the baby, and the baby wearing you are using. Some may have a lighter dysplasia, while others may have an attack on their HIP Joints.
When You Feel Your Baby is Facing Development of Hip Dysplasia
Symptoms of this disease may vary a little bit according to Baby to Baby wise. Some babies may diagnose it at an early stage (Few months of the Baby), and some may be analyzed in at a severe case. However, the symptoms of this disease are-
- The leg from the affected portion may become shorter than the other side’s leg.
- The skin of your Baby’s Buttock may become uneven than average.
- Your Baby’s abnormal expression when he/she moves the HIP.
Causes of HIP Dysplasia
Some parents think using the baby carrier could cause Dysplasia in their babies HIP. We are not avoiding their thoughts. But it only not arises for improper use of a baby carrier. Rather than some other reasons also are blame to causes this disease. Let’s see all those reasons-
- The first one is a genetic reason. If the parent of the Baby has a history of Dysplasia on their HIP, the Baby has a chance to attack by this.
- The second one is gender-related. Research already established the fact; baby girls are more prone (two to four times at least) than a baby boy to be attacked by this disease.
- First Born Babies are more prone to attack by it. As they have to tightly fit on their mother’s uterus, so later born babies are relatively safer in that case.
- Breech like Position of the Baby during at the time of pregnancy.
- If the Baby is carrying by an improper leg extending Position using a tight baby carrier.
How To Diagnosis Hip Dysplasia In Your Babies
The good news is American babies regularly go through a routine checkup about Hip Dysplasia. At the time of each routine exam, pediatrics will ask the parents about the genetic history, Baby’s position at the time of pregnancy, how the Baby is carrying using a baby carrier, etc.
The Baby’s doctor will ask about the symptoms baby shows by his/her facial or body expressions. So after some physical or topical observations, the doctor might ask to go for some below-listed examination to be sure about it.
If your Baby is a minimum of six months older, the doctor can advise you to go for an x-ray of your Baby’s HIP. (At six months of age, Baby’s bone starts to develop from the Head of the Femur).
If Your Baby’s age is less than six months, doctors will ask you to go for an Ultra sonogram of your Baby’s HIP. You might know already. Ultra sonogram uses a high-frequency wave to get a sharp image of the femoral head (ball) and the Acetabulum (Socket) of your Baby.
Treatment of HIP dysplasia
Once you diagnosed your Baby has this disease, now it is time to treat your Baby by several means. I said several means because all parents might not feel interested in medicinal treatment for their little bunny. So how can you treat your Baby if he or she is suffering from Hip Dysplasia? Let’s see-
- Baby’s less than three months age might need a follow-up observation to let their Hip Bone develops appropriately. Your doctor will advise you to wait until 3 or 4 months to allow your Baby’s bone reasonably stable. A follow-up observation might let your Baby’s HIP joint regular as your Baby grows.
- Your Baby’s doctor might ask you about a Pavlik harness. But your Baby’s age mandatorily needs to be four months plus to use this treatment. Your Baby has to regularly wear this harness (all day and night long) until his/her hip joints come into normal position. Generally, when a baby starts to move his/her legs, this harness can replace the joints in an ordinary place. You might need eight to twelve weeks to treat your Baby with this harness so that your Baby got back his/her hip, usually in a stable position. Never start this treatment consulting without your Baby’s doctor. Also, don’t forget to ask the doctors about the duration of wearing this harness to your Baby.
- The third option is surgical. When your Baby’s hip got partial or entirely displaced/dislocated, your doctor will ask you about the surgical process your Baby might go through. It is generally needed if the Baby cannot get back his/her normal hip despite using the Pavlik Harness. Your Baby, at first, has to go through the arthrogram process. By this process, the doctor will see how the ball is dislocated from the hip joints’ socket. However, the treatment after this arthrogram process is known as Close Reduction.
- The final way is Open-reduction Surgery. When all the above procedure is failed to get back the Hip Joints, your Baby’s doctor will use this process.
Is Baby dysplasia Curable in Babies?
It is curable. But sooner you can diagnose this disease, sooner & quickly; you can treat your Baby to recover from it. As there are several ways and parents are not so un-conscious about their babies, most babies (attacked by HIP dysplasia) have cured well until now. You need to follow what the pediatrics said and need to keep up your patience.
How Long Does a baby Wear a Pavlik Harness?
Your Baby’s doctor will recommend you the timing of wearing the Pavlik harness of your Baby. Generally, it needs all day and night long to wear this harness. And the total duration of wearing this harness is supposed to be eight to twelve weeks long.
Once your Baby is treated for HIP abnormality, he or she needs to go through a periodical observation by a renowned orthopedist until your baby becomes mature enough. Once your Baby is treated well for this disease, he/she may need relatively more time to walk than usual babies. Children have a history of this disease, prone to walk later than other kids.
That’s all about the Development of Infant HIP dysplasia for your infant. If you need more detail, please leave a comment in our comment box.